Sunday, July 5, 2015

Roasted Vegetable Tart - #SundaySupper


Happy Sunday!

I am so excited to be participating with my first #SundaySupper post. This is an amazing group of food bloggers who value cooking from the heart and drawing family around the dinner table as much as I do. You can find more information about this great group at the bottom of the post.

When I think of Sunday Supper, I think of local and seasonal foods, an evening with family and creating new memories. I think of meals everyone will enjoy as we sit around the table and share our day. This week's theme happens to be Food That Travels.

I have three small children, a 2-year-old, almost 6-year-old and 7-year-old, so just sitting down and eating is a challenge at this age. Even though preparing dinner can take me longer than usual, eating at home is a great way to lessen overall mealtime stress. Ever tried to get a 2-year-old to sit down and wait for dinner? Or keep him in his seat long enough for the rest of us to enjoy ours? Okay, me neither! The other bonus is I can make a dish my kids will want to eat.

Here on the farm the summer squash is in full swing. I am eagerly waiting on our tomatoes and have been thinking about a rustic tomato tart I like to enjoy in the summer. I kept thinking, what if I created a tart with the same crust, but from the vegetables we currently have available in the fields or the store. So, this roasted vegetable tart was born. And guess what? Tarts are fabulous to enjoy warm or cold and they travel well for a picnic or potluck. Plus, they look really impressive!


I highly recommend trying this tart crust with fresh corn, but times likes this before our farm corn is ready, canned works just fine. The crust is created with corn, a little lemon juice, sour cream for the necessary fat and then flour and corn meal. The dough is rolled onto cornmeal giving the crust a nice bite with a little extra crunch for texture.

When local corn is available for dinner during the week, I love to boil a few extra ears and cut off the kernels for recipes like this one. ...or to throw onto a weeknight salad.


I whisked together the dry ingredients while pulsing up the wet in the food processor.



I cut butter into the flour, then prepared the ricotta filling. My favorite part of the cheese filling is the large amount of chopped basil. Cutting fresh basil in the yard is one of my favorite things. It just smells so amazingly fresh.


And, of course, there are the grilled vegetables. I roasted mine on a sheet tray in the oven, but they could easily be prepared on the grill. Just toss in a little olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.


I used fresh zucchini, yellow summer squash, eggplant and asparagus, all vegetables my family enjoy. With just a thin layer of tomato sauce between the cheese layer and vegetables and a little Parmesan cheese over the top, the tart just needs to be warmed though. It is delicious served either warm or cold with a little salad and fresh fruit.

This is my idea of a great summer dinner.


Roasted Vegetable Tart

Yum
You will need:
  • 1 c. corn
  • 3 Tbsp. sour cream
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c. cornmeal + more for rolling out the dough
  • 1/4 c. butter chilled and cubed
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 1 medium summer squash
  • 1 eggplant
  • 4 stalks asparagus
  • 1 c. ricotta
  • 3/4 c. Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c.basil, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 c. marinara sauce
  • salt and pepper
Combine the corn, sour cream and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse till the corn is broken up and the mixture is mixed well.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 c. cornmeal and 1 tsp. salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles sand. Mix this into the wet mixture and bring together into a ball. Flatten into a disc and chill for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the vegetables, except the asparagus, using a mandolin into 1/8th-inch thick slices. Toss with olive oil and sprinke with kosher salt. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet and roast until softened and starting to turn golden brown. Keep an eye on the vegetables as they will cook quickly For the aspargus, snap off the ends, toss in olive oil and roast for about 9 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Place the crust in your tart shell and cut away any excess. Line with foil and cover with pie weights or dry beans. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the inside of the shell is dry.

In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, egg, basil, Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon. salt and 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper. Spread the ricotta mixture in the bottom of the pre-baked tart shell. Spread the 1/4 cup marinara sauce over the ricotta, top with the roasted vegetables and sprinkle with 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. 

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tart is warmed through. Serve warm or cold.

Enjoy! 


Mmm... I hope you enjoyed this Roasted Vegetable Tart recipe. Be sure to check back next week to see what I am cooking up for the next Sunday Supper.

And... be sure to check out all these other amazing recipes for Food That Travesl...

Adventurous Appetizers

Destination Desserts

Mains in Motion

Sightseeing Sides

Traveling Treats
More Tips

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

  Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!