Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thai Inspired Chicken Patties with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

Thai Chicken Patties

This week flew by between yawns and quick cat naps. I had forgotten how much nursing and caring for a new baby takes out of me!

Food has become a little more basic. I just haven't had the time for long preparation or new techniques. But, food is fuel. I know, not too glamorous, right?

I have started cooking some small items ahead of time. Plenty of protein options that I can make up as a big batch and then freeze or enjoy for the week. One of those recipes was this Thai inspired Chicken Patty. Thai food contains such lovely big flavors and chicken is the perfect pairing since it is a great protein chameleon. I love spicy food, but my husband is not a fan. This year he planted a crop of mild jalapenos. They have all the great flavor of the pepper, without the heat. So of course I had to use those. If you can't get a hold of mild jalapenos, just reduce the amount. ...or embrace the heat.

These little patties also contain zucchini. We have an abundance right now, as many people do, so it is yet another way to utilize the prolific squash and stretch one package of meat even further.

Easy Meal

Isn't it a lovely mix of veggies and ingredients? One key ingredient is fish sauce. I keep it handy in my pantry for a few dishes I enjoy making. Just a tip, do not smell the bottle. No, really. Just don't do it. It smells awful, but I promise it won't overpower the dish. They just don't taste the same without the fish sauce. Look for it with Asian foods, in the Thai section.

Grilled

Thai Inspired Chicken Patties

You Will Need:

  • 1 1/2 lb. ground chicken meat
  • 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 c. zucchini, grated and drained
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tsp. lime zest
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (I used a mild variety with no heat)
  • 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1 large egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
  • Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce (I use the Trader Joe's brand)

These are so easy to make! Grilled outside or on a cast iron grill pan indoors, allow them to create a sear on one side before turning.

Combine all ingredients. The mix will be a little soft. Chill in the refrigerator while the grill or pan heat up.



Heat your pan to medium/high heat. Take out the meat mixture and scoop with a muffin scoop for uniform patties. Brush your grill lightly with vegetable oil, place patties on the grill and gently flatten with a spatula. They should be about 1/2" thick. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until you achieve clear grill marks. Place on a baking pan and finish off for 5-8 minutes in a 350 degree oven so they will cook all the way through. Cover with aluminum foil until ready to serve.

Serve over a big salad or wrap in a lettuce leaf. Dip in sweet chili dipping sauce for an extra flavor kick!

Have leftovers? Just refrigerate and reheat the following day or freeze in a single layer on a baking dish and transfer to a freezer bag. Microwave to reheat.

Enjoy
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!